The Chapels' tour
The Chapels' tour

The Chapels' tour

A lookout, a viewpoint
Heritage and history
Embed this item to access it offline

A remarkable architectural heritage protected under the Historic Monuments, with a classified building: the Saint André Chapel.

Originally built on a rock, Comps is an old fortified village in the middle of the wilderness, the old town has a lot of character, is quiet and relaxing. The fortified and classified Chapel of Saint André was built by the Knights Templar whose village was for a long time one of the fiefdoms. There are still many imprints of that era.

3 points of interest

  • Patrimony and history

    Sainte-Philomène church

    This church was erected on the site of a penitents' chapel built in the 16th century and dedicated to Notre-Dame. In 1855, the bishop asked that the masses continue to be celebrated in the ruined chapel. In 1885, a new decision is taken to build this church. Construction will end in 1893. This church belonged to the Knights Templar of the Commandery of Ruou-Lorgues, then became the headquarters of an Order of the Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem.

  • Patrimony and history

    The Saint-André chapel

    The Saint-André church probably dates back the early 13th century. The height of the building was raised after; we can see the marks of this change at the top of the walls. The bell tower was added in the 15th century. The covering, restored in 1996, shows different types of materials that mark these three steps: flagstones on the original chevet (apse), round tiles on the elevated part of the nave and glazed tiles on the bell tower.

  • Patrimony and history

    The Saint-Jean chapel

    The Saint-Jean chapel was built outside the medieval village. Built into the rock, simple and low-built, this chapel was constructed by the Order of the Hospitaller of Saint John of Jerusalem, later called the Order of Malta. Since the 12th century, the choir of the churches is oriented east and more precisely where the sun rises on the day of the feast of their patron saint.


From the town hall, take the Rue de la Bourgade in the direction of the chapels of the tour. Pass the Fountain, go along the village school and church and go up to the chapels through the Rue des Templiers.

1 - At the intersection, take the left lane going up to the Saint André chapel overlooking the village.

2 - 80m up the hill, just above the imposing chapel, we can enjoy a panoramic view of 360° on Comps-sur-Artuby, the village of Bargème and its castle, the hamlet of La Souche and the summits of the Verdon.

Then continue on the route. Pass the Saint-André chapel and continue on the heritage trail towards the second chapel: Saint Jean. Access to the chapel, isolated on the hill, is in the middle of the medieval village's remains. The return to the starting point is by the paved path from below.

  • Departure : In front of the town hall
  • Arrival : In front of the town hall
  • Towns crossed : Comps-sur-Artuby


Altimetric profile

Information desks

House of the Verdon Regional Nature Park

Domaine de Valx, 04360 Moustiers-Sainte-Marie (0)4 92 74 68 00

House of the Verdon Regional Nature Park

Find out more

Report a problem or an error

If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: